Wednesday, March 24, 2010

STEPS and the MEGA STEPPERS

Several weeks ago, Kaiser Permanente offered companies in the Southern California area incentives to get people to exercise more. They suggested the companies form groups of 9 to 10 employees who would receive free pedometers. Then the groups would attempt to have each group member walk 10,000 steps a day. The group in the company with the most steps after 10 weeks would be the winner and get some sort of prize. For some reason, the idea struck teachers (et al) in South Pasadena and over 200 of us decided to try it. I'm in the Mega-steppers, a group of science teachers. At first it seemed impossible, but it's been entertaining seeing how far I stomp around each day. I average about 2000 steps in each of my classes. Walks around the neighborhood average 2000 to 4000 steps. I got Charlie to walk around with me. Since exercise is supposed to be good for you, and numbers appeal to me, this is the nicest way to exercise I can think of.

Today we took the "sleepy house" walk. It's a home in San Marino with two upstairs windows that have pull shades. The original owners used to leave the shades in varying levels of up and down - making the house look like two sleepy eyes. The new owners leave the shades down all the time which isn't nearly as much fun. Yesterday, we took a stroll down to the local bakery and bought sweet rolls for our coffee. Yes, a tad self-defeating on the keeping your weight down purpose of all this walking. Sigh.

More on yesterday's walk tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment