Friday, June 25, 2010

LAST FULL DAY IN PALO ALTO

6 - 24 Thursday. I dropped Charlie off on campus, then continued down Palm Drive. I managed to continue to University Avenue and REDISCOVERED town! How silly. I had remembered California, but that was just a train station. The strange little shops, cafes, and all are here, on University. I found a Walgreens, parked and got what I needed there. Then I stomped up and down the street checking it all out. I found a great little stationary store on Waverly. Lots of good cards and other items of strangeness. I wish Staples and Office Depot hadn't destroyed these kinds of shops near me. After my street circuit - it actually sprinkled on me! - I went back to my parking lot. Notice, I now own it. Parked the car and walked back toward the center of campus. I stopped for a sunny read at a cafe (the Olives) awful coffee but lovely patio. Then trudged back to the bookstore. More reading. I've forgotten how calming this can be. Met Liza and we walked to the Business Schools salad bar. Nice lunch. Nice chat. I'm glad she's here. We haven't had a chance to talk in a long time.
Back to the hotel. More reading. Charlie called for a pick up around 5. We stopped for a coffee at the Stanford mall. Kind of a lot of coffee today. Back to the room - a quick spruce up - then to MacArthur Park Restaurant for the banquet. Ribs? unlikely banquet food. We sat with Charlie's post doc- Harsha. Maybe next summer - monsoon or not - we'll go to Southern India. It's where Harsha is from. Sounds adventurous.

6 - 25 Friday. Quiet morning. More later on.......

No comments:

Post a Comment