Sunday, June 6, 2010

THINGS ARE FINALLY CALMING DOWN

There are only two weeks left of school. I really am amazed how quickly these final weeks came. It seemed like I was snowed under for months - I was. When the AP kids took their exam (May 10) I expected a lull. It didn't happen. I had been involved with the union as a representative, and the state of California inconveniently ran out of money. Most of the rep meetings were excessively long and depressing. What can you say when there's no money to be had? The math class that I've been teaching this year continued to require a lot of work. And, of course, the Honors Physics class really never stops until the very end. I somehow imagined a little down time, but I never got any. Memorial Day week-end began with Geoffrey. I thought he would come for a short week. It actually was a long week. Last night we went to David Bowman's birthday party (He's Charlie's old grad student who's now a professor at Fullerton). We gave Dave a pedometer and left Geoffrey with him as a follow up gift.

Last week was typical of the chaotic times. Tuesday was the last faculty meeting of the year. So after a somewhat quiet week-end, I had to get to school at 7 am. That always knocks me out. Then Wednesday was Open House. Although those meetings are positive for me, they make me hopped up like a three year old. Since I was already tired, I was beginning to really drag by Thursday. I had a lot of grading on Thursday. Friday, much to my delight, I won an honor. There was an assembly for the Hartsough award. At the assembly the students give a few awards beyond the main one. I won The Teacher Outreach Award. I was touched, not only by the surprise, but how kind the kids were congratulating me afterwards. Friday evening was the TASP (union) dinner. It's now Sunday, and I can begin to see a bit of calm in the distance. I hope so, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment