Monday, June 25, 2012

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, VERMONT DAY 2

Charlie's meeting began after breakfast (around 8:30).  I had a map (which I soon discovered was useless) and headed down a road toward the Simon Pearce Museum and shop.  I was delighted to find it right away.  Here's some photos near the museum.





I then decided not to take highways, instead I would wander backroads using my "map".  I drove toward Woodstock (so I thought) for 12 miles.  I spotted a highway (NOT near Woodstock) and realized my map wasn't worth a doodle.  I also realized that I had no sense of direction in the Vermont woods.  All roads look the same, so I carefully retraced my steps back to the Quechee Inn, took Rte 4 and got to Woodstock.  What a gorgeous town!  I found a parking space in a lot called "free parking" and then wasn't sure I'd ever find the car again.  Actually in a town with, at most, 10 roads - not a problem.  I had to go to the bathroom, found a local (actually a Boston-transplanted local) who worked at the library.  If it weren't for her, I would never have gone into that building.  It was beautiful!!  Here's some Woodstock photos.
 A working covered bridge in town,

 A board that struck me as fascinating.  Notice the temperature.  It was horribly hot and humid which was the only negative thing about the trip.  I would have loved to walk around more.

Inside the library - second floor.  This was the prettiest library I've ever seen.
I drove back to the east along rte 4 (no more backwoods roads for me), and came to the Quechee gorge.  The travel book I had said, "Well, it's not the Grand Canyon."  No, but it was very nice.  I wandered through the woods to the information building.  (In my get-lost-no-matter-what state, it was actually along the highway.)  But the woods were nice.  Here are some photos.

 In the distance, above, you can see the dam that's quite near the Quechee Inn.

The two photos below are from my walk through the Vermont woods.


I then drove to King Arthur Flour.  It's a great place for bakers, cooks, and eaters.  If I weren't flying home, I would have bought some flour there too.  I had a great salad and a wonderful roll for lunch.  Getting to the place was a hoot.  My instructions told me to drive to the 89 S, take the 91 S and then go 91 N.  Huh???  I managed to miss the last step, and ended up driving south.  No problem, thought I, I'll just get off at the next exit.  Gak!  Next exit was 10 miles away.  Ho ho.  I did get there though.

I went back to the inn, and decided to check out Vermont cheese.  Locally there was a Sugar Bush Farm that had cheese.  When I got there I found out that the grandfather had his knees replaced, and the family stopped cow farming.  They were, however, still maple syrup producing.   Somehow, they shipped in mountains of cheese and repackaged it.  Hmmm.  Not quite the same.  I wish I liked maple syrup better.  Here's some photos.

 The only cow on the farm was a baby who was there for effect.


After my travels I went back to the inn.  Charlie's group was done meeting, and ready for the group banquet.  That evening we drove back to the Simon Pearce Museum for dinner.  Super dinner, and even better, I had a chance to 1.) meet people that Charlie has talked about for years and 2.) meet up with Martin Smith and his wife Terri Frazier.  Charlie and I have known Martin for more than 40 years.  His wife, Terri, is actually from Oklahoma, but has clearly settled into Vermont.  Vermonters treat Canadian maple syrup like Voldemort - do not say its name!  Great evening.  Great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment